Monday, August 11, 2008

Baby steps


One of the the saddest events of the days after the fire happened when we were upstairs taking inventory. The items up here were burned, not just smoke-covered and stinky. It was hot, dark, and we were tired. And when I pulled out the blackened baskets that held my boys' footprints, birthdates, and locks of hair I had a bit of a breakdown. They were in really bad shape. Mom said she'd take them and keep them sealed up - at least we'd have them and they wouldn't be completely lost.

Well what a surprise when I got these baskets back yesterday! Steve has worked to clean them - sanding off the soot, restaining them, airing them out...it's amazing! And he saved the footprints! Along with the baskets, they cleaned frames and pictures - many of which we thought couldn't be saved...my favorite picture of little AJ at the park when he was about 11 months old, pictures of the family at WDW, and silly Robbie in his swim goggles! Not everything could be salvaged, but the memories I got back this weekend are precious and very much appreciated.

No comments: